Who am I? An assessment at age 39

I am David, 
son of Charles & Susan, 
unknown to the world,
an amateur 
in every craft,
my fame has reached
the four walls of my own abode.


Bernini's David

We understand ourself and the world through stories, and then we create our own.
Two early stories that inspired me were David & Goliath and The Golden Child.
I found the Biblical stories very powerful as a kid, and still do, David's especially.
I also loved Eddie Murphy, and thought I was a golden child, a gift to the world.

As the solipsistic bubble of youth deflated and then burst, I became more aware of my deficiencies, especially upon leaving university and finding the streets of adulthood were not paved with gold.

Travelling the world for a year was a chance to recapture the whimsical wanderings of my youth, and also helped me forge an iron cast relationship with my wife. This solid foundation has been the basis for a happy family life. Now that the early fog of child-rearing is starting to clear, I'm better equipped to soberly assess my life and understand who I am. I would summarise Dave thus:

Defender – naturally cautious, traditionalist, inclined more to defence than attack
Adventurous – world traveller, language learner, expansive taste in music & books
Virile – 3 kids, strong & sporting, enjoy manly chat & beery bonhomie with the boys
Easterner – southeast London born & bred, live in east England, love Japan & China

The past few years have been dizzying, both personally – stop this train, I wanna get off – and politically. The constant 24-hour news cycle of upheaval that is Brexit, terrorism, Trump and some new breaking clusterfuck has led me to reassess my life. Less time on social media, more time spent being present with family & friends; less ideology and emotion, more free thinking and rationality. Reading Dostoevsky and the Bible also made me question my pygmy atheism. As a result, I've left behind a lot of the certainties of my youth (i.e. "there is no God", "those on the political left are more virtuous than those on the right") and learned to embrace doubt, nuance and non-partisanship.

I am now centrist Dad trying to stave off a mid-life crisis.

To follow on the blog – more on my political journey; how playing Horizon: Zero Dawn has been a useful outlet for my fears about the rise of AI and climate change; learning about my heritage and medical risks via 23andme; my new reading project, featuring The Odyssey, Moby Dick, etc

Comments