Dylan's First Autobiography?

Just a short interim blog in my rundown of Bob Dylan's 38 studio albums, prompted by reading the back of my vinyl copy of The Times They Are a-Changin'. As you'll see from the picture below, there are four "outlined epitaphs", as Dylan calls them, as though he were writing a funeral oration for his young life, at a time when he was entering a new period of fame and artistic maturity. What's striking about these epitaphs for me are that they seem the most honest and faithful account I've read of his experience growing up in Minnesota, especially given how prone Dylan was to telling tall tales (like the one about arriving into New York on a "freight train").


I've reproduced my favourite of the four epitaphs below, as it seems the most personal:

The town I was born in holds no memories 
but for the honkin’ foghorns 
the rainy mist 
an the rocky cliffs 
I have carried no feelings 
up past the lake superior hills 
the town I grew up in is the one 
that has left me with my legacy visions 
it was not a rich town 
my parents were not rich 
it was not a poor town 
an my parents were not poor 
it was a dyin town 
(it was a dyin town) 
a train line cuts the ground 
showin where the fathers an mothers 
of me an my friends had picked 
up an moved from 
north Hibbing 
t south Hibbing 
old north Hibbing . . . 
deserted 
already dead 
with its old stone courthouse 
decayin in the wind 
long abandoned 
windows crashed out 
the breath of its broken walls 
being smothered in clingin moss 
the old school 
where my mother went to 
rottin shiverin but still livin 
standin cold an lonesome 
arms cut off 
with even the moon bypassin its jagged body 
pretendin not t see 
an givin it its final dignity 
dogs howled over the graveyard 
where even the markin stones were dead 
an there was no sound except for the wind 
blowin through the high grass 
an the bricks that fell back 
t the dirt from a slight stab 
of the breeze . . . it was as tho 
the rains of wartime had 
left the land bombed-out an shattered 
south Hibbing 
is where everybody came t start their 
town again. but the winds of the 
north came followin an grew fiercer 
as the years went by 
but I was young 
an so I ran 
an kept runnin . . . 
I am still runnin I guess 
but my road has seen many changes 
for I’ve served my time as a refugee 
in mental terms an in physical terms 
an many a fear has vanished 
an many an attitude has fallen 
an many a dream has faded 
an I know I shall meet the snowy North 
again-but with changed eyes nex time round 
t walk lazily down its streets 
an linger by the edge of town 
find old friends if they’re still around 
talk t the old people 
an the young people 
runnin yes . . . 
but stoppin for a while 
embracin what I left 
an lovin it-for I learned by now 
never t expect 
what it can not give me

Comments