Eulogy to my Nan




A few years ago, I got a chance to sit down with my Nan on a few occasions just to talk about her wonderful life and, as many of you know, she really could chat! So what follows is just a short biography of my Nan, based on those conversations.

Born in Forest Hill on August 27th, 1923, Evelyn Rose, or Rose or Rosie as many people knew her, was born to Elizabeth Emily Fry and an unknown father. Occasionally, my Nan would speculate about who her father might have been, but she never really showed much curiosity and would often joke that it could have been the local Italian ice cream seller, as that would explain her olive skin.

As the eldest of five children, Nan had two sisters (Peggy and Eileen) and two brothers (Teddy and Lenny) and always remembered her early childhood with fondness. She would often mention how the doors on her street would be open at all times, and that everybody would be in and out of each other’s houses, so she remembered a real sense of community.

At age 13, Nan had to leave school to help look after her siblings, while her Mum was in hospital for some time. Afterwards, while her Mum was recuperating, Nan felt compelled to go out and work and held down a variety of jobs before WW2 broke out. Nan said she worked in a make-up factory in Sydenham, in another factory nearby making typewriters and even as a welder. Thinking back to how me & my brother used to complain about doing a paper round, my Nan’s work ethic during her teenage years puts a lot in perspective.

I should also say that it was around this time that Nan confessed to having her first cigarette and, as some of you will know, she always took pleasure in defying doctor’s orders and continued the habit until very late in her life.

During the war, Nan joined the Land Army and was posted to a farm in Horsham in West Sussex, where her days would often begin with milking cows and finish out in the fields at dinnertime. Despite a grumpy farm owner, Nan had nothing but happy memories of these years, especially learning to drive a tractor and riding a horse. While on leave in London during the war, Nan would stay with the mother of her then boyfriend, Freddie King. Sadly, near the end of the war, Freddie’s Mum received a telegram saying that his plane had been shot down over Berlin.

Nan said it took a very long time to recover from the heartbreak, but it was thanks to her sister Eileen that she finally met her husband and my Grandad, Robert Coleman. After the war, Eileen helped my Nan get a job in service at a property on Blackheath Park, near Blackheath Halls, and this is where Nan would first meet Grandad when he came to stay as a lodger. Nan always remembered this time with great fondness, especially their trips to the cinema while courting, and in 1956 they married in a small ceremony at Lewisham registry office. A year later, in the summer of 1957, along came their first and only child, my Mum Susan.

In the early part of Mum’s life, Nan remembers moving to various different addresses around Lewisham, Blackheath and Charlton and holding down a variety of different jobs, more and more so when my Grandad was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.

Nan said she found it very sad to see her husband, who had served in the army and was a former boxer & cross country runner, end up losing his physical faculties at a relatively young age. During his illness, Nan somehow juggled looking after the house and my Mum, who was still at school at the time, along with working various jobs and caring for my Grandad, who eventually died in 1972.

Nan spent most of her later years living in Kenya Road, Charlton and this is where myself & my brother always remember Nan living. We had many happy Christmas lunches there as a family and Nan, who was a very proud Royalist, would always make sure we all stopped whatever we were doing to listen to the Queen’s speech.

Nan finally retired from working in her early 70s, just before the turn of the century, and she remained active until very near the end of her life. I remember the first time I brought my wife Ruth to our house in Plumstead back in the late 90s, and Nan was trying to lug a huge mattress down the stairs at nearly 80 years old. Little things like that just go to show her determination and strength of character, and it was those qualities that got her through so many challenges in life.

There are many, many things I’d like to say about my Nan and what an amazing woman she was, but there just isn’t enough time, so in closing I’d just like to say that, I know I speak for me & my brother when I say Nan was more like a 2nd Mum than a Grandma in many ways. With all the love and support we got from our amazing Mum and Dad as well, we really did have a dream team of parents growing up.

Finally, I’m so glad that Nan got to see the next generation in our family coming through with my daughters Rosie and, most recently, Ava, who came along just weeks before she died. Nan was in fact the first person in the family I spoke to after the birth and that joy in her voice is something I’ll always remember and hold on to.

So Nan, you’ll be very much missed, and will always remain in our hearts.

Thank you xx















Comments