Brussels, Bumder & Bragg


Weather: Very grey, drizzlefest
Mood: Relaxed, reasonably well-rested
Word: Bumder (watched tonight's Inbetweeners special)
Rosie: Awoke from 3-hour snooze at 4pm and demanded dinner
Lunch: Homemade tomato soup, with cheese, ham & bread
Exercise: 5-mile run at lunch
Booze: Several glasses of Fragoso Merlot
Purchased: Curry, hurrah!
Media: Economist, TLS, Guardian, Billy Bragg on 6music
Notes: A week's holiday in Dorset, a business trip to LA, rushing about at work, hectic weekends, jet lag and mild depression (triggered by the nights drawing in) has caused me to neglect this blog for the past month. Only this week, after 2 runs in preparation for my upcoming half-marathon, have my energy levels returned and with it the feeling of settling back into something approaching a routine. Today, in amongst the working at home and hanging out with Ruth & Rosie, I put together a self-improvement plan for the coming year - including an iTunes course on genomics by Dr George Church, a Mandarin course from the website Pop Up Chinese and learning some nursery rhymes on the guitar for Rosie. But tonight was all about self-indulgence, enjoying a curry with red wine while listening to Billy Bragg play the DJ on BBC 6 Music. Just wish I hadn't spoiled the mood by watching Newsnight and the worrying news about the gradual breakdown of the global economy.
Link: http://bit.ly/szALga
Blog: With Christmas coming, and the recurring threat of being offered Brussel sprouts for Christmas lunch, this article provided me some solace as the sole hater in my family of this pungent, evil vegetable. After years of being made to feel like an outsider for not wanting these green orbits of slime on my plate, I now feel vindicated that my opposition is merely genetic. Where I got those genes from, however, is an interesting question.
Photo: Me conducting the wedding ceremony of my friends John & Suzette in Italy.


Comments