Festive Fifty 2010

In honour of the late, great John Peel, I've compiled my very own Festive Fifty, a look back at the musical year that was MMX. Putting together an end-year playlist in November may be jumping the gun slightly, but all I foresee for the next 30 days is X Factor fluff. Two trends really stuck out for me in 2010: more 80s revival (see Wild Nothing, School of Seven Bells and even the Depeche Mode flavour of the new Arcade Fire album) and comebacks (all in search of the live music dollar, and some more successful than others - see Massive Attack, Gil Scott-Heron). For the full Top 50 Spotify playlist, click here

Back to their best after Neon Bible, channeling some New Order energy. Looking forward to seeing them at the O2 this week
We all say that, don't we? Well James Murphy has changed and given up LCD Soundsystem. Tis a loss
Baltimore duo still giving shoegaze a good name. Legrand's vocals are immense
Stand-out track on an impressive album, great Glastonbury performance
Selkirk's finest provide some simple, uplifting fare
No, I'm not having a mid-life crisis, but this track gives me hot flushes
Sounding like Dylan in his Desire heyday, this collaboration gets better and better
Midlake's Courage of Others was one of my favourite 2010 albums, just got a soft spot for mystical folk
Liked the original but the remix gives the track added drive and focus, great vocal performance from TVOTR's Tunde
Killer chorus, this song just grew and grew on me



Comments